Leadership Philosophy and Behavior
Function: As leaders appointed by the First Mennonite Congregation, we guide the collective life and focus of our congregation toward the fulfillment of our mission to “extend grace, build peace, and share love within and beyond our faith community”.
Core Values: In our life together, we will:
1. Align our efforts with Jesus,
2. Empower commissions to carry out their work,
3. Promote healthy congregational process,
4. Uphold our Anabaptist faith and practice,
5. Appreciate how differences enrich our faith,
6. Allow love to form unity amidst our diversity,
7. Promote the health and growth of our body life.
Behavior: Durable Operating Practices
1. Speak simply with kindness and love
2. Build structure that supports our mission
3. Own our messages
4. Support one another in word and action
5. Name problems as accurately and truthfully as possible (but always name them)
6. Be direct in our dialogue
7. Listen to understand
We Will Not...
1. Push our own agenda
2. Carry someone else’s agenda
3. Defend ourselves
4. Have meetings after the meeting
5. Make personal attacks
6. Criticize openness
A missional culture energizes vision; with vision the people flourish!
(Adopted by Church Board and Commission Chairs, January 2014)